Creating a Website Marketing Plan: Step 1 – Define Your PurposeBy
Preface: This is part one of a five-part series I will be doing this week. Throughout this series I will refer to websites as a general term, as all of these concepts and strategies hold true whether your website is a static brochure, informational site, blog, online store or other form of website.
STEP 1 – DEFINE YOUR PURPOSE
Before you even create your first web page or blog post, you must have a purpose for your site in mind. Why are you creating it? What do you want or expect your site to accomplish? Some possibilities are:
- Inform potential customers about product or service you offer, information about your company and other basic information
- Inform existing customers on new products, services, company happenings
- Sell your product or service to a wider audience on the web
- Create an online community for those with similar interests
- Express your individual thoughts through online journaling (blog)
- Communicate your thoughts and opinions with potential and existing customers
- Generate passive income through ad and affiliate streams
Of course, there are other reasons to create a site and often times you will find yourself having more than one purpose to your site.
Take Away Activity: Create a notebook – nothing fancy – to do some brainstorming. Write down the reasons why you launched your site and ultimately what you hope to accomplish with your site. This will lead you to the next step of setting goals – and we will address that in the next segment.
Coming Tuesday: Step 2 – Setting Goals