Essential Tools Featuring iThemes’ Cory MillerBy
I love Fridays! Not just because it signals the end of another great week, but because it means it’s time for another Essential Tools feature. I am very grateful to be highlighting such talented pros every week. This week is no exception! Let me introduce you to the essential tools of Cory Miller – founder of the iThemes WordPress Themes collection and WebDesign.com.
I’m a pretty simple and practical person. I like easy-to-use tools. A good tool does its job and gets out of my way. This is why I still use a basic text editor (TextEdit) to write my to-do lists.
I’m like most people — if it works, I keep using it. Having said that, I probably use 20% of features available in any tech tools.
Here are the stupid simple and boring daily tools that make my life easy ….
- Gmail – I don’t remember what I did before Gmail. I do MOST of my work via email. And as such I have several years worth of email correspondence in it. The search function alone is worth it as I use it numerous times a day to remember and find things.
- iPhone – It sounds cliche, but I love my iPhone. I use it prolifically to check email, send texts, get driving directions, use the calculator, check my calendar, monitor Twitter and read all the blogs I want to keep up on. It’s my true companion everywhere I go. I have all kinds of apps on it, but probably use 5 or less ever.
- Firefox – It’s the best browser around. I still use my trusty add-ons to do some tinkering with sites and code (Web Developer toolbar and FireFTP) but love how it remembers my tabs (like placeholders to go back and read, or blog about something).
- iCal - I’m on a Mac and iCal, the Mac desktop calendar that syncs with my phone helps me not forget important dates and events. I’m not the most superorganized person on the planet, but iCal helps me keep things simple and organized.
- TweetDeck - Over the last year, my use of Twitter has skyrocketed. It’s a great relationship builder and communication tool. I use TweetDeck to monitor our brands and respond.
Subscribe to the Essential Keystrokes feed so you don’t miss a single Essential Tools feature. Next week will feature WordPress MU rockstar Andrea Rennick. If you are interested in sharing your essential tools for business, drop me a line at cpolanosky [at] gmaildotcom.